Sunday, June 29, 2014

"Away from Maine" by Baili


A couple of steps could lead you to many places. That all, however, depends on where you are. In Brunswick Maine I could never tell you that three steps away from me was The White House, maybe a tree or two, but never anything as breathtaking. In Maine we have stars and some duct tape; here they have buildings taller than anything I have ever seen in my personal fourteen years of experience. I will say that this has been the best week of my life. So many memories and pictures in places I never thought I would be standing in front of. Today I saw The Smithsonian of Modern Art, of Natural History, of Air and Space and one more. I would tell you about my experience in great detail about all of them, however I have gotten five hours of sleep and I would love to nap for the next six hour bus ride and not be writing the whole time. And btw I totally could. Nonetheless that will not stop me from telling you about my Air and Space experience.  My experience at that museum changed my view on Air Force Pilots. I walked around the museum and realized just how complicated it was to fly a plane. I really respect pilots and astronauts. Our country would probably parish without people who are just so brave and simply dedicated. I went into a simulation today. I was the gunner and one of my best friends, Molly was the pilot. It was very confusing to be the gunner, and she was the pilot. She had about 8 different buttons and another two levers just so she could move the "Jet". We got lost and hit the ground on several occasions in merely the five minutes we were in there. Now imagine this. You have both me and Molly's jobs. You have a jet, you are a pilot and you have to shoot planes. Okay so you're already focusing on like thirty different things. The second a person adds in one more thing you might puke. What if that thing was your jet would spin and flip. You now have to focus on where you are, thirty different switches and levers, where the enemy is and not puking. I believe that the people in The Air Force do not get nearly enough credit. I was in that simulation with a friend and we still couldn't do nearly the amount of things that The Air Force does. I would just like to say, thank you to anyone who fought for our country, but especially recognize pilots in The Air Force. Thank you so much for fighting for our country, I know you are risking your life every single day you are out there for our freedom and I just want to say thank you. Okay now everyone reading this I just want to say I could add probably a lot to this blog, but I am so tired and my feet are numb. I am going to sleep. Thank you for following the blog throughout out trip. Everyone here appreciates it greatly! This trip was one of the most amazing things I have ever thought was possible. As I leave this.. experience, I will take so many memories that will sparkle and shine in my head. I have learned a great deal. I have played chicken in the pool. I have stood in front of the Abraham Lincoln statue. I think my head will explode if I learn anymore in the summer. Have an amazing summer to anyone reading this blog, and please don't get a sunburn too bad! God bless all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment