Sunday, June 29, 2014

"Reflections from the Week" by Shawn

During the past week, I learned that most people take their everyday lives for granted and don’t realize the valuable privileges they possess. I walked through the gardens and paid my respects to each memorial in honor of those who died fighting for our country so we could keep living our free lives as American Citizens. I felt as though I was paying a long lost debt, carried on by tradition by our families. I felt fit with pride to be able to visit these memorials and pay my respects.
When we discussed these events and memorials on the bus I was very touched by a personal account of war, integrity and honor told by my team leader, Scott Couture. As he started to choke up I felt and urge to hug him and comfort him, Only I didn’t because the bus was going down the highway.
On a personal note, I have my own story to tell about the 9/11 Pentagon Memorial in Washington D.C. We each walked by the benches pointing towards and away from the Pentagon and although I had no connection to this event, I knew that a few of my friends did, and I began to hear them cry. 
I began to start imagining that plane coming straight towards at me, the sound of the jets and the smell of the jetfuel getting closer to the ground. I began to choke up feel my eyes water. I kept walking around the park until I came across something that stopped me dead in tracks and make me let out a bit of a yelp. As I looked down on the side benches, I saw the year 1968, which was the year my mom was born. I caught myself losing my breath at near sonic speed and felt the hot tears roll down my face. What if my mom had been here, alone or along with me, it brought pain to my heart and understanding of the true impact of the September 11th terrorist attacks. When it was time to go, I saw my other friends and even a few parents sobbing with their faces to their hands all the way to the bus and most of the bus ride. My hand kept on shaking as I took my cell phone out of my pocket and dialed my house number. As my mom picked up the phone, I felt myself choke up even more but was able to explain to my mom what had happened. The hardest part of the phone call was saying these three words to my mom, “I love you”. As soon as I said that, I felt myself just come loose as she said those words right back to me with love in her voice. 

I didn’t think I would be able to sleep easy that night, but hearing my mom's voice when I was so far away from home was the perfect cure for insomnia.

No comments:

Post a Comment