Thursday, June 26, 2014

What part of history that you learned while in NYC would you rewrite? What would happen?


"Though this is recent, I would rewrite the shrinking of Little Italy.  It is sad that many shops and restaurants are not run by the Italian and Jewish families.  Also, Chinatown is growing and causing Little Italy to shrink quickly.  I would have many of the families stay and hold on to their restaurants."  - student

"One part of history of NYC that I would rewrite would be the events of September 11, 2001.  We visited the memorial for 9/11 on our first day of the Freedom Tour and I, like many others, were utterly overwhelmed by the amount of people who died.  Before, this amount was just a number; it doesn't hold as much significance as seeing all the names engraved in stone does.  If I could rewrite this part of history, Iw ould simply make that beautiful late summer day just another normal day without extreme destruction that actually occurred.  Yes, one could argue that these events have strengthened our country and heightened our security, but are these positives really worth such a great loss of life?" - a student

"I would choose the gangs in Chinatown and the Lower East Side.  These gangs killed people and I would rewrite it so that conflict was resolved another way. I would not chose 9/11 because I think our country has grown from it since we have stepped up security and  are more concerned and protective of our citizens." - a student

"At Ellis Island, I learned that Massachusetts Bay Company would not accept any immigrants who were ill or disabled.  Although I understand the concept of needing hardy people for survival in the Northeast, I was surprised at the early exclusionary nature.  Discrimination is not a new concept.  I would I rewrite this section of history?  Tolerance is a learned behavior. I do not think this can be rewritten. However, we can decrease our footprint of intolerance by challenging those students who step out of their box. Expose and respect others at a young age will serve them well in the future." - team leader

"I would rewrite the ongoing story of our homeless population.  I think we need to go upstream from the place we intervene now helping our most needy when they have ended up staying on the streets is not as effective as improving our interventions early on.  It starts with strong communities caring for our children.  Educating and mentoring them to, hopefully, give them the opportunities they deserve."  - a team leader

No comments:

Post a Comment